Additionally, as energy costs continue to rise, homebuyers are increasingly becoming interested in energy-efficient options. Now, in addition to being recognized for energy-efficient appliances, ENERGY STAR® can be applied to the largest asset most people will own which is your home.
The features of an ENERGY STAR® rated home include:
- SPACE HEATING & COOLING – More energy-efficient space conditioning systems, such as furnaces, air conditioners and water heaters.
- WINDOWS & DOORS – Improved window and door performance with ENERGY STAR® certified products.
- INSULATION – Increased insulation in the ceilings and walls versus what is required by the building code.
- AIR TIGHTNESS – More airtight construction to reduce drafts since ENERGY STAR® certified houses must meet a specified maximum air leakage limit.
- VENTILATION - A balanced heat recovery ventilation system that provides a continuous supply of fresh air.
- APPLIANCES & LIGHTING - Increased electrical savings by incorporating ENERGY STAR® certified lighting or appliances, which help reduce electrical loads.
So what are the benefits for consumers and builders? Well let’s take a look.
For consumers, with an ENERGY STAR® home you’ll enjoy a more comfortable, durable and healthier house, that also delivers energy savings year after year, including:
- Enhanced performance and comfort.
- Efficient heating and cooling systems to reduce energy costs.
- Improved indoor air quality.
- Peace-of-mind knowing these homes are third-party verified by trained and certified advisors, and awarded the government-backed ENERGY STAR® label.
For builders, your business will have the opportunity to realize marketing, professional development and market differentiation benefits, including:
- Ability to leverage the ENERGY STAR® brand as a trusted identity widely recognized and sought after by consumers.
- Improved market visibility when you become a ENERGY STAR® certified builder and listed on Natural Resources Canada’s website.
- Access to expertise in building science, training and overall support with the opportunity to integrate new building practices through the construction of ENERGY STAR® certified homes.
- Potential rebates and other incentives offered through New Home programs administered by FortisBC and BC Hydro.
So, whether you’re a homeowner looking to build your new home or a builder starting a new construction project, check out ENERGY STAR® and think about joining 60,000 other homes in Canada that have been built to the ENERGY STAR® New Home standard.
For more information on ENERGY STAR® New Homes visit Natural Resources Canada’s website here.